Swimmers returned for the first session of the new season last Wednesday night. It was good to see so many ready to kick start their training for the year ahead. Coaches have met to take a look at the schedule for the year ahead and it is expected that there will be some changes in those covering the various sessions. Wednesday will remain the official ‘Club Night’ but there will be the usual swims at designated times throughout the week. The first PTL gala will be in October which gives us several weeks to sharpen up on individual performances. Looking further ahead, this year it is our turn to host the Armagh Championships which will take place in late January or early February, the exact date to be confirmed. We also look forward to welcoming some new faces to the coaching team when they complete their training. All members should keep an eye on the club noticeboard as well as the weekly newsheet which will outline our plans for the year ahead.
All Green to Gold squad swimmers are invited to attend a Swimming Camp on the following dates:
Thursday 17th April 09:00 – 11:00 am
Friday 18th April 09:00 – 11:00 am
A further three sessions will run on the mornings of :
Wednesday 23rd April, Thursday 24th April and Friday 25th April. (times as above)
Please note! Numbers are limited to 20 swimmers and there will be a small charge of £5 per day to cover lane hire. Places will be confirmed upon registration. Swimmers are encouraged to attend as many of the sessions as possible. Please see Conor for further information.
The final result of last Saturday’s AquaSprint Gala against local rivals Lurgan saw the visitors leave with an 18 point winning margin in what was yet another exciting event. Once again this was a great team effort which shows the strength in our junior squad. The final score was Portadown 191 Lurgan 209. Thanks to all who came to help with timekeeping duties, gala officials, catering and of course our supporters!
Many thanks to all who entered and supported the event, especially to those coaches who dug deep (some deeper than others!) to come up with photographs. £45 was raised and the lucky winners were:
Carol Hunter Eve McAdam
Congratulations to Matthew Walsh who qualified for ‘Swim Ulster Age Group and Youth Championships’ at Aurora Leisure Centre Bangor last weekend. Well done Matthew!
Please note the following dates:
- Monday 14th – Friday 18th April UPC Easter Skills Camp – venue Aurora Leisure Centre Bangor, cost £40 per swimmer (see club desk for further information)
- Saturday 12th April Aquasprint Gala Portadown V Lurgan
- Saturday 10th May ‘Antrim Open Championships’ venue – Lisburn (contact club desk for details)
- Sunday 11th May ‘Antrim Open Championships’ venue Larne (contact club desk for details)
- Saturday 17th May AquaSprint Gala Portadown V Dungannon
- Saturday 17th May ‘Ards Junior Open Event’ venue Newtownards Leisure Centre (Swimmers 11 years and under. See club desk for further details)
- Junior Gala against Lurgan and Armagh May (date to be confirmed) This is for non-AquaSprint team swimmers!
- Wednesday 11th June Small Pool Gala and Individual Medleys
- Saturday 14th June Large Pool Gala
- Wednesday 18th June A.G.M. Drumcree Pastoral Centre at 7.00pm.